Through the Primary Care Development programme we are supporting our partners to develop their local primary care strategy and implementation plans whilst fostering partnership working across general practice, community, mental health, pharmacy, secondary care and social care.
The UCLPartners Primary Care Development Programme has been developed in response to the primary care needs of partner organisations from across our geography. Our programme supports local areas to transform primary care through the development of new models of care, sharing of best practice, bespoke leadership development and quality improvement capability building, and targeted local support.
We aim to:
- Support transformation of our partners towards place based systems of care that will deliver improved population health and greater sustainability by focusing on primary care transformation
- Support our partners to develop and implement local initiatives that harness the opportunities presented by General Practice Forward View and new ways of working.
Progress so far:
Primary Care Network
Through a series of quarterly evening workshops, UCLPartners brings together a network of local primary care leads. Senior staff from federations, localities, GP networks, CCG primary care transformation teams, patient groups and the community come together to build relationships, share examples of local and national good practice, and reflect on new models of primary care with the aim of driving forward the primary care agenda and supporting the spread of best practice across the partnership geography.
Workshops to date:
- Making the primary care development strategy work for you (June 2016)
- Designing the primary care workforce of the future (September 2016)
- New models of care in primary care – ‘at-scale general practice’’ (February 2017)
- At-scale general practice: contribution of the non-medical workforce (June 2017)
- Are e-consultations the answer to the access challenges in general practice? (September 2017)
- Practice nurses, nurse practitioners and GPs, as shared leaders – working together to lead transformation in general practice (January 2018)
- Innovations in Primary care – engaging with creative new ideas to improve care for patients (May 2018)
- Re-thinking Medicine – creating value for the population we serve (September 2018)
Primary Care Quality Improvement Collaboratives
Partner CCGs commissioned UCLPartners to deliver Quality Improvement (QI) collaboratives, specifically designed for general practice and tailored to local needs.
Our team of GP QI leads, QI experts and Improvement Project Managers have delivered seven collaboratives across four CCG areas. This work covered 90 practices which serve a population of 1.5m people. Read a full report of this work here.
For more information on bespoke quality improvement support we can offer to partners, please see our improvement and capability pages here.
You can find more information about the ongoing South East Essex Quality Improvement Collaborative here.
Emerging Leaders in Primary Care Programme
The emerging leaders in Primary Care Programme has been designed to equip staff with the knowledge, skills and expertise to develop into locality- and system-level leadership positions in primary care. It has been designed with the specific needs of commissioning partners in mind, and uses expertise and learning from similar programmes run by UCLPartners and our delivery partners.
- Is targeted at emerging leaders in primary care, embedded at locality or system level
- Combines evening and full day learning modules which have a bespoke design for specific challenges of primary care
- Includes 1:1 coaching and action learning sets, supporting every participant to deliver change management project within their locality or network
- Has been designed and is being delivered in partnership with leading experts from The Staff College, Dartmouth Institute and Care City
Providing bespoke support to localities
We are supporting individual localities with their resilience and transformation work in primary care. This includes support for:
- Clinical leadership development
- Clinical engagement
- Developing and/or implementing new models of care in general practice using General Practice Forward View principles
- Locality development
All our work is linked in with the local Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships.
The programme team is also working closely with the Informatics and Innovation teams in UCLPartners to further develop support for primary care in these areas. For further information on this contact the Programme manager.
For more information about the Primary Care Development programme please contact Ruth Frost, Programme Manager