UCLPartners provide project management and clinical expertise to help organisations develop and improve their medicines optimisation approach.
Medicines optimisation looks at the value which medicines deliver, making sure they are clinically-effective and cost-effective. It is about ensuring people get the right choice of medicines, at the right time, and are engaged in the process by their clinical team.
The national AHSN Medicines Optimisation programme consists of three major themes:
- Transfer of Care Around Medicines (TCAM)
- PINCER (Pharmacist-led IT based INtervention for reducing Clinically important ERrors)
We can provide project management and clinical expertise to partner organisations including hospitals and CCGs, in line with the Royal Pharmaceutical Society medicines optimisation good practice guidance for healthcare professionals in England, our Medicines Optimisation programme has four guiding principles:
- Aim to understand the patient’s experience
- Evidence based choice of medicines
- Ensure medicines use is as safe as possible
- Make medicines optimisation part of routine practice
Working alongside our programme partners, we are currently supporting the following projects: