Maternity & Neonatal Health and Safety Collaborative
UCLPartners Patient Safety Collaborative is supporting maternity and neonatal teams in the region to work together to improve the outcomes and experience of babies and families.
This national collaborative, established by NHS Improvement, is a three-year programme to support improvement in the quality and safety of maternity and neonatal units across England.
The collaborative aims to:
- Support maternal and neonatal care services to provide a safe, reliable and quality healthcare experience to all women, babies and families across maternity care settings in England.
- Create the conditions for continuous improvement, a safety culture and a national maternal and neonatal learning system.
- Contribute to the national ambition of reducing the rates of maternal and neonatal deaths, stillbirths, and brain injuries that occur during or soon after birth by 20% by 2020.
Teams across the country work on quality improvement projects to meet these aims.
The programme looks to improve processes, systems, culture and service user involvement to impact outcomes on five clinical areas linked to stillbirths and neonatal harm:
- Improve the proportion of smoke free pregnancies
- Improve the optimisation and stabilisation of the very preterm infant
- Improve the detection and management of diabetes in pregnancy
- Improve the detection and management of neonatal hypoglycaemia
- Improve the early recognition and management of deterioration during labour and early post partum period.
Click here to view the national driver diagram.
We are supporting teams through:
Providing quality improvement advice and support for projects, including:
- Providing access to training, such as QI, measurement and human factors
- Providing guidance on next steps for projects
- Helping to establish teams to support projects
Conducting safety culture surveys, including:
- Helping teams to reach the most staff possible
- Understanding the results of the survey
- Running debriefing sessions for teams to discuss the results
- Finding solutions and ideas for improvement
Making the most of Life QI, including:
- Getting your team set up on the platform
- Providing advice and trouble shooting
Facilitating Local Learning Systems – quarterly sessions for teams to:
- Learn from other teams and to work collaboratively across organisations
- Increase local improvement capability
- A sustainability solution for maternal and neonatal improvement
- Link with Local Maternity Systems.
The Local Learning Systems in the UCLPartners region are:
- North Central London
- North East London and Mid and South Essex Hertfordshire and West Essex (co-hosted with Eastern PSC)
- Bedford, Luton and Milton Keynes (co-hosted with Eastern and Oxford PSCs)
Helpful resources for the collaborative