Our programme of work seeks to reduce healthcare carbon emissions and tackle the climate emergency.
Our vision is that by working together we reduce our impact on the environment and deliver sustainable healthcare, helping to secure better health and putting us on a path to a cleaner, greener, healthier and more equitable future for generations to come.
The NHS in England is responsible for 4-5% of our country’s carbon emissions and is a significant polluter and user of natural resources. This contributes to both climate change and air pollution, which are a huge threat to health. The NHS Green Plan set out targets to reduce carbon waste, improve air quality and minimise single use plastics.
Progress has been made, but we need to increase our scale and pace of action. We will accelerate efforts by bringing together industry, universities and the NHS to develop, pilot and disseminate new innovations, including the role of technology. We will find ways to tackle the climate crisis and enhance our partnership’s progress towards reaching net zero.
Our programme of work will complement local work to deliver the NHS Green Plan, uniting NHS organisations in North Central and North East London and Mid and South Essex to reduce healthcare carbon emissions and tackle the climate emergency.
We will do this by:
- Building a senior faculty with local, national and international expertise, and engaging with experts across higher education, research and industry to innovate and solve problems
- Developing workstreams in priority areas, such as procurement, care pathway transformation and behaviour change
- Establishing a network of diverse participants with a focus on inequalities and social values, organising events to exchange ideas, collaborate and build capability with a focus on culture change and leadership
- Co-designing interventions and educational resources that will target areas with the highest potential impact
- Harnessing collective power to influence, for example by collective bargaining or informing policy
- Capitalising on data-driven innovations to reduce carbon impact, using intelligence and metrics to transform how we deliver care
Join our Climate Collaborative mailing list.