DATA-CAN: Health Data Research Hub for Cancer
DATA-CAN is a UK-wide partnership, hosted by UCLPartners, that aims to transform how cancer data from across the UK can be used to improve patient care.
Announced in September 2019, DATA-CAN: The Health Data Research UK Hub for Cancer will work with patients across the UK to bring their clinical data together and use this data to:
- help develop improved cancer treatments
- give patients faster access to clinical trials
- understand how we can improve NHS cancer services
The Hub will be supported by patients, charities, clinicians, academic and industry-based researchers and innovators, and will involve cancer hospitals across the UK.
It is one of seven Health Data Research Hubs being set up across the UK to speed up research for new medicines and treatments, support quicker diagnoses and potentially save lives. The Hubs are part of a four-year £37million investment from the Government Industrial Strategy Challenge Fund (ISCF), led by UK Research and Innovation, to create a UK-wide system for the safe and responsible use of health-related data on a large scale.
The founding partners of DATA-CAN are:
- Queen’s University Belfast, representing Northern Ireland and Wales
- University of Leeds and Leeds Teaching Hospitals, representing Yorkshire and Humber
- Genomics England
Watch: Introducing Data-Can
High-quality cancer data
One in two people will get cancer during their lifetime. Every year, almost 400,000 new cases are diagnosed in the UK, and cancer costs the NHS £7bn annually. Using cancer data more effectively could improve cancer survival rates, potentially contributing to saving the lives of 30,000 cancer patients a year.
DATA-CAN aims to transform the ability of researchers to use high-quality cancer data, while ensuring all data is held securely and patients can decide how their data might be used.
DATA-CAN is supported by the following organisations:
- The Christie NHS Foundation Trust
- The Royal Marsden Hospital
- Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS FT
- Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
- NHS England (London)
- One London LHCRE
- Yorkshire and Humber LHCRE
- Y&H AHSN
- HDR- London
- HDR- NI & Wales
- Medicines Discovery Catapult
- Swansea University
- Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group, a cancer charity
- ACT for Cancer
- Bowel Cancer UK
- European Data Saves Lives
- European Alliance for Personalised Medicine
- University of Edinburgh
- University of Exeter
- Alan Turing Institute
For further information about DATA-CAN please email firstname.lastname@example.org