During this phase, it is critical to establish the key foundations to support effective and sustainable implementation of the Proactive Care Frameworks. Investing in this phase will increase likelihood of success and will require a significant amount of planning and preparation time. We advise focusing on a small number of pilot PCNs and one condition to test how to approach implementation in your local area. It will be key to collect key learning and insights to inform a plan for broader roll-out across your local geography.
Aim, key activities and outcomes
The key aims of this phase are to build shared understanding of how to adapt the frameworks, identify support needs, provide relevant training and prepare for implementation.
The key activities to focus on during this initial engagement phase are:
- Establishing programme governance and delivery plan including links to national and local initiatives and reporting into local system governance for long-term conditions/personalised care/health inequalities
- Confirming the number of pilot PCNs/practices to be involved, approach to broader rollout and approach to align incentives
- Identify local clinical and commissioner/project management leads
- Identify key local system partners required to support implementation
- Identify patient cohort to focus on – priority group and condition
- Workforce planning: identify number of staff needed to support patient cohort, conducting training needs assessment to inform training plan
- Agree approach for patient involvement and required education material for new approach
- Define data and evaluation approach including key metrics required and data collection approach
- Adapt frameworks to fit local system e.g. social prescribing referral pathways
- Identify need for digital tools, associated funding and required pathway adaptation
- Agree approach for sharing learning (community of practice) and use of quality improvement approaches
By the end of the kick-off and mobilisation phase, you would want to have achieved the following:
- Developed a plan for pilot focusing on small number of sites and patients
- Set up project and steering groups
- Developed and delivered training for staff
- Adapted frameworks, particularly pathways, to fit local system
To support you with the kick-off and mobilisation phase, we have developed the following key documents and tools.