Primary Care Development (PCD) programme
Through the PCD programme we are supporting our partners to develop their local primary care strategy and implementation plans whilst fostering partnership working across general practice, community, mental health, pharmacy, secondary care and social care.
Primary care needs more support and investment to meet the rising needs of the population. The PCD programme aims to use learning from various initiatives in primary care across UCLPartners to co-produce a substantive offer that will support our partners to deliver the primary care strategy as part of the Sustainability and Transformation Plans (STPs)
We aim to:
- Support transformation of our partners towards place based systems of care that will deliver improved population health and greater sustainability by focusing on primary care transformation
- Support our partners to develop and implement local initiatives that harness the opportunities presented by General Practice Forward View and new ways of working.
Progress so far
Over the past three years UCLPartners have engaged with primary care through individual projects like atrial fibrillation screening and the management and early detection of cancer.
We have been working to consolidate our ongoing work and engage with our partners at a system level in primary care strategy. We have started to harness current relationships with CCGs and are engaging with new partners like federations and localities.
We have been listening to our partners and scoping their requirements. We held a workshop that focussed on identifying the priorities for our partners to better understand what support we should provide going forward. As a result of this workshop the PCD programme will initially focus on:
- Providing a forum for primary care leaders to share ideas and experiences, starting with the co-design of a common vision for general practice
- Supporting our partners to build the capacities and capabilities of both the workforce and primary care organisations, enabling service redesign and improvement.
Providing bespoke support to localities
We are supporting individual localities with their resilience and transformation work in primary care. This includes support for:
- Clinical leadership development
- Clinical engagement
- Developing and/or implementing new models of care in general practice using General Practice Forward View principles
- Locality development
All our work is linked in with the local Sustainability and Transformation plans.
The PCD programme is led by Professor Martin Marshall, Primary Care Programme Director at UCLPartners. Martin is also Professor of Healthcare Improvement at UCL and a GP at the Sir Ludwig Guttmann Centre in Newham.
Follow Martin on twitter @MarshallProf
Download the presentations and documents from the ‘Making the primary care development strategy work for you’ event here.
For more information about the PCD programme please contact Preeti Sud, Programme Manager