Programme Manager, North Thames Genomic Medicine Service Alliance
20 April 2021
The North Thames Genomic Medicine Service Alliance (NT GMSA) is a partnership across North East, Central and West London health and care partners including Trusts in West Hertfordshire and Mid and South Essex, and the Royal Marsden NHS Foundation Trust.
Building on the success and the foundations of the North Thames and West London Genomic Medicine Centres (GMCs), this new partnership will enable to providers to collaborate in the provision of consistent and accessible genetic and genomic testing for a large and diverse population of around 10 million people. As GMCs, North and West London recruited ~30% rare disease cases and 22% cancer cases nationally. As an expanded partnership, we are combining expertise in patient and public involvement, community outreach, clinical capabilities and excellent track record in research to achieve a step change in delivering genomics medicine for our population.
Role & Responsibilities
This vital post, leading and co-coordinating operational delivery across our GMSA geography, has responsibility for establishing and then leading operational management of the NT GMSA. This includes bringing together workstreams aimed at mainstreaming genomics through transformation projects around nursing, pharmacy, midwifery, clinical medicine, and informatics together with a workforce development working group to scope need for training support and infrastructure development. The NT GMSA will work closely with the NT Genomic Laboratory Hub and our academic partners to deliver the objectives of the GMSA.
The post is a member of the GMSA Operations Group and reports to that group and also includes membership of the Informatics Group, Clinical groups, GLH senior leadership and the PPI Group.
The job description is not intended to be exhaustive and it is likely that duties may alter from time to time in the light of changing circumstances and after consultation with the postholder.
The postholder will be required to work across partners of our GMSA at any time and throughout the duration of his/her contract, which may entail travel and working at different sites.
This is a full-time secondment for 18 months at grade 8b reporting into the Clinical Director of the GMSA
- Professional leadership, both strategic and operational, including experience of leadership in organisational / transformational change
- Management experience ideally with understanding of NHS operations across organisations (primary, secondary, tertiary) and NHS performance standards
- Experience of working across organisations
- Understanding of governance and legislative frameworks for clinical research in the NHS
- Knowledge of national systems, structures and processes for supporting clinical research (industry and academic sponsored) in the NHS
- roven leadership skills, including leadership in the management of change and continuous improvement with an ability to challenge and promote new ways of working to improve service delivery
- Proven interpersonal skills to work with senior clinical and management colleagues at all levels across a range of organisations and the ability to develop effective working relationships with senior stakeholders
- Able to use influencing skills to bring about change and develop common services and standards across partners
- Ability to communicate highly complex, sensitive or contentious information orally and in writing, both internally and externally, to a range of audiences