Clinical Pharmacy Lead- North Thames Genomic Medicine Service Alliance
18 April 2021
Genomic advances are increasingly providing opportunities for personalised medicine in the form of pharmacogenomics, gene therapies and targeted treatments. The pharmacy workforce will be an integral link between genomic testing, medicines optimisation and access to personalised treatments.
With the implementation of genomic testing and the objective to mainstream genomic medicine we are aiming to appoint a Clinical Pharmacy Lead/Consultant Pharmacist. This is an opportunity for a pharmacist with relevant expertise to influence the development of the role of pharmacy, by:
- Supporting the GMSA to establish a regional pharmacy collaborative, to involve and engage with chief pharmacists and CCG lead pharmacists across the geography
- Demonstrating professional leadership and shaping the direction of Genomics at a local, regional and national level, including collaborative working with commissioners, and participating in the national Pharmacy Genomics Collaborative, sharing practice, supporting collaborations and providing expert advice
- Supporting the development of recommendations on the role of pharmacy in clinical pharmacogenomics and in the personalisation of treatment interventions
- Research, evaluation and service development of pharmacogenomics and pharmaceutical matters within Genomic Medicine, creating new models of patient care to ensure optimal outcomes.
- Working with the GMSA E&T lead in delivering genomic education as required across the healthcare sector in North Thames geography; influencing the changes in education and training required to support and develop pharmacists and the pharmacy workforce, linking with higher education institutions both within pharmacy and for other professions.
- Key operational leadership role working as part of the clinical leadership team. The post holder will have dedicated time to work on delivery of GMS priorities related to personalised medicine and the pharmacy transformation programme. The clinical pharmacy lead will work with the GMSA team to review care pathways to ensure they maximise the opportunity for patients to benefit from advances in pharmacogenomics
This post is suitable for a for an existing Consultant Pharmacist or an experienced clinical pharmacist who wishes to specialise in genomics and/or develop existing system leadership skills and is working towards achieving Consultant Pharmacist credentialing within 12 months.
Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of professional and current issues related to genetics, the NHS, and relevant fields
- Ability to operate at inter/intra agency level and engage partners across boundaries
- Proven ability to work within a varied and complex, networked working environment
- Demonstrable commitment to improving the quality of patient care using a whole system patient focused approach
- High level of clinical experience and expertise at consultant pharmacist level, or working towards credentialling
- Proven experience of working at a strategic level with senior clinicians and managers
- Appropriate and current clinical experience in Pharmacogenomics or related field
- Experience in working at a regional/national level (e.g. as member of committee or via presentations/academic publications)
Time commitment for delivery of transformation programme is 0.8WTE to allow for maintenance of an element of clinical service delivery in their host organisation.
Could consider job-sharing or 2 x part-time posts.
Fixed term secondment for 18 months.