Chief Pharmacist – North Thames Genomic Medicine Service Alliance (GMSA)
11 December 2020
Genomic advances are increasingly providing opportunities for personalised medicine in the form of pharmacogenomics, gene therapies and targeted treatments. The pharmacy workforce will be an integral link between genomic testing, medicines optimisation and access to personalised treatments.
With the implementation of genomic testing and the objective to mainstream genomic medicine we are aiming to appoint a Chief Pharmacist to provide strategic leadership for the pharmacy activity; this will include mainstreaming genomics through transformation programmes and representation of NTGMSA at a National Level. The Chief Pharmacist will be accountable to the GMSA Clinical Director.
The Chief Pharmacist will supervise and provide support to the Clinical Pharmacy Lead in the execution of their responsibilities.
This is an opportunity for Chief Pharmacists with relevant expertise to influence the development of the role of pharmacy as we work towards mainstreaming genomics.
To provide professional system leadership across the North Thames geography and support delivery of GMS priorities and the pharmacy transformation programme by:
- providing a link to senior pharmacy leaders, including the Regional Chief Pharmacist, all hospital chief pharmacists and CCG lead pharmacists, and networks across the region
- liaising with Regional Medicines Optimisation Committees (RMOCs) and ICS level medicines/pharmacy committees
- participating in the national Pharmacy Genomics Collaborative and sharing practice across GMS Alliances.
- to attend monthly meetings of the regional Clinical and Scientific Directorate to work with the executive team to ensure delivery of the business plan (including transformation plans).
To provide strategic system leadership for the delivery of the pharmacy transformation programmes by:-
- ensuring an appropriate infrastructure and active engagement with the networks across North Thames
- overseeing the pharmacy transformation programmes
- working closely with the Clinical Pharmacy Lead, E&T and workforce Leads to develop a strategy for workforce development and delivering genomics education and training opportunities for pharmacy teams across the geography.
- Work with the GMSA team and PPIE group to ensure that care pathways are maximise the opportunities to benefit from pharmacogenomic innovations
To provide supervision and support to the Clinical Pharmacy Lead to ensure they are equipped to carry out the responsibilities of their job role and to support their personal development as a Consultant Pharmacist or towards becoming a Consultant Pharmacist.
Demonstrable commitment to improving the quality of patient care using a whole system patient focused approach
Significant and recent senior experience (within the last 5 years) as a Chief Pharmacist
Significant experience of delivering advanced level clinical pharmacy services to a specialist area.
Significant recent experience of planning and improving quality of pharmacy services provided
Understanding of professional and current issues related to genetics, the NHS, and relevant fields
Knowledge or awareness of pharmacogenomics
Work at a national level
Proven ability to support and develop individuals within a team
Good understanding of all regulatory frameworks and governance arrangements for medicines
Please note: This role is for 1 day/week, the duration for the post is for 3 years initially. The applicant should be working for an employer within the North Thames GMSA and will remain employed with their substantive employer for the duration of this role. This role reports to the Clinical Director of the GMSA